FARM ASSOCIATE – INDOOR PRODUCTION – GUELPH
Farm Associate - Indoor Production
Ignatius Jesuit Centre
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) is a not for profit charity situated on 600 acres of woodlands, wetlands and farmland just outside of Guelph Ontario. IJC welcomes all and is home to Loyola Retreat House & Ignatian Training, Ignatius Farm, the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest, St Brigid’s Villa and Orchard Park Office Centre. Ignatius Farm is looking for passionate, imaginative, eco-minded individuals to help us care for the Ignatius organic farm. You will help build the Ignatius Farm vision of developing local food systems, innovative greenhouse production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and education programs. Ignatius Farm grows certified organic vegetables and berries for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers markets, local businesses and service agencies. The Farm’s programs include community gardens, acreage rentals, internships, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and several annual community events. The Indoor Production Associate will grow and market seedlings, microgreens, in-ground greenhouse crops, as well as field crops.
Close to Public Transit:
March 4, 2019
Contract - March 4, 2019-February 28, 2020
40 hours per week on average
- Grow, harvest & distribute quality organic vegetables, indoor and outdoor
- Work with and set pace for teams of interns, volunteers, field workers, and external groups
- Production activities within priority area of Indoor Production include:
- seedling, microgreen & in-ground greenhouse production
- soil fertility management; irrigation
- greenhouse maintenance and upgrades; equipment & infrastructure maintenance
- production records, variety trials, documenting successful practices & lessons learned
- facilitate training modules on indoor growing
- Coordinate crop sales
- Background knowledge and/or interest in gardening, ecological agriculture, greenhouse production, use of hand tools and basic equipment, local food systems
- Commitment to Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, operating as a cohesive team, and building community.
- Assets: Valid G class drivers licence, First Aid/CPR
- Your letter of interest must specify that you meet all of the following funding eligibility criteria.
How to Apply:
Submit resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
FUNDING ELIGIBILITY The Career Focus Program is funded by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada as part of the Youth Employment Strategy. To be eligible to apply to this program, applicants must be, before starting the project:
- 30 years or younger
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Have graduated from a university, college, DEP, or CEGEP (waived for Indigenous youth)
- Have not participated in any other Youth Employment Strategy program (Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative and/or Career Focus Program)
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.